Rhythm Dice Games

5 Feb

4th baggie games (6)

A couple of years ago I spent a ton of time creating a box full of rhythm dice games for my kids to use to review note names and durations. I wanted them to be easy to use and durable so that they could be used as a part of my own lessons or if I had a substitute with no music experience. The time spent creating the games was well worth it, and the kids have played the games over and over. A couple of the games are from The Big Book of Music Games, but I created my own boards. One of the games (Rhythm Ladder) was invented by some of my students! Below is a video of some of my fourth grade students demonstrating the three different games.

Here are the printable game boards and instructions.

Baggie Inserts (list of contents for each baggie)

Rhythm Dice Games Instructions

Roll ‘Em! Game Board (names)

Roll ‘Em! Game Board (durations)

Rhythm Ladder Game Board

Printable $1 Play Money Bills

Printable $5 Play Money Bills

I laminated everything but the play money bills, and so far they have been super durable. I did purchase some of the supplies for the baggies, but the cost was minimal. I got all of my supplies from United Art and Education because they have a store close to my school and I had coupons. I bought enough to make 15 baggies (for a class of 30 students), with a few extras of each item. When I was ready to assemble all of the baggies, I had one of my classes do it, assembly line style (free labor!). Here are Amazon links to the supplies I purchased for my baggies.

Blank  Dice with Adhesive Labels

Transparent Counting Chips

Plastic Coins – Quarters

6 Responses to “Rhythm Dice Games”

1. Tiffany Berting February 15, 2013 at 1:24 pm #

Thank you! I love sub plans that don’t include movies! Summer project: Make these games/baggies!

• Kelly Schenbeck Riley February 15, 2013 at 1:29 pm #

Thanks! I’ve gotten a lot of mileage out of these baggies. I love that the kids were able to explain them so well in the video. Just more evidence of their learning. :-)

• Tiffany Berting February 15, 2013 at 1:37 pm #

Have you made the game boards for SMART Board yet? This would make a great SB activity. I’ve never tried making and rolling two interactive dice…. hmmmm. Something to look into.

• Kelly Schenbeck Riley February 15, 2013 at 1:41 pm #

I have not. We do use the Flash interactive dice in SMART Notebook, but often, the pictures don’t stay saved when I reopen the file. I’m running an older version of SMART Notebook at school due to the old OS version on the Mac computers. I’m hoping that when those are updated for next school year, I won’t have that issue anymore.

2. Heather B. June 19, 2014 at 9:12 pm #

I just found you through pinterest and WOW! thank you for the amazing resources. I am currently working on creating music centres for my class for the next school year. I also can’t wait to read through prior posts on your blog.

Thank you!
    Heather B. in Ontario, Canada

• Kelly Schenbeck Riley June 20, 2014 at 3:14 pm #

Thanks, Heather! I get more traffic from Pinterest than any other site. Love Pinterest! I hope you enjoy the dice games. I’d love to see what other centers you are implementing. That is one teaching technique I always wanted to try but never could get off the ground.